A “cookie” is a small piece of encoded information sent by a web server to be stored on your web browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) so that it can remember something about you such as username, password, references at a later date. Cookies have three functions: security, log in and responsibility discharge.
A cookie also ensures that there is a unique identification when you visit the ColumbiaThreadneedle.com website and helps us to determine what page you may see next time you visit the website. This process enables us to provide you with personalised information and simplify your user experience.
We use persistent cookies that do not expire at the end of a user session. The cookie stored on your web browser does not contain any Personal Data and is encrypted and only our web server can read it.
Specifically cookies may:
- allow us to recognise the PC you are using when you return to our website so that we can understand your interest in our website and tailor website content and advertisements to match your interests;
- identify you after you have logged in by storing a temporary reference number in the cookie so that our web server can conduct a dialogue with you while simultaneously dealing with other customers. (Your browser keeps this type of cookie until you log off or close down your browser when these types of cookie are normally deleted. No other information is stored in this type of cookie);
- allow you to carry information across pages of our website and avoid having to re-enter that information;
- allow you access to stored information if you register for any of our on-line services;
- enable us to produce statistical information (anonymous) which helps us to improve the structure and content of our website; and/or,
- enable us to evaluate the effectiveness of our advertising and promotions.